It has been a crazy couple of weeks here to the lead up of the Winter Solstice! The longest night and the shortest day of the year in the Southern Hemisphere. The Winter Solstice is between 19th – 22nd June which represents a time of reflecting on the last year, releasing of the old and negative things like feelings, behaviours, habits and beliefs and focusing on what you wish to achieve for the coming year. The days start to get longer and it a great time to write down exactly where you wish to be in the coming year and then take action.
- Home Environment
- Physical Activity
- Social Life
and then rate how satisfied you are with each area. There is no right and wrong answers it is just an exercise to give you a starting point. Then pick one or two areas that you would like to work on for the next 3 months then answer these questions:
- In 3 months what would you like to have achieved in that area of your life?
- What will it look like?
- What will it feel like?
- How will you know that you have achieved your goal?
For example for me I am not satisfied with the area of Physical Activity so I am going to focus on that. So to answer the questions above:
- I would like to be consistently running 3 times a week and able to run 9kms.
- Each Tues, Thurs and one day on the weekend I go for a run. Tues and Thurs are either intervals, hills or a shorter run. The weekend run is a longer run.
- Each week I add kms to my long run so that I am able to run 9kms in 3 months time.
- I will know that I have achieved my goal because in Sept I will participate in the Sydney Running Festival Bridge run – running across the Harbour Bridge to the Opera House. I will run the entire way which is 9kms.
Your goals need to be SMART – Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-Bound.
My goal to run 9kms is just this:
Specific – to run 9kms
Measurable – I can measure 9kms so will know if I have achieved this
Attainable – this goal is a stretch, so will put me outside my comfort zone, yet is is achievable
Relevant – I’m wanting to increase my physical activity
Time-Bound – The Sydney Running Festival in on 21 Sept 2014 and I have already entered my details
Once you have implemented the action needed to achieve your goal in the area of your life that you have picked and it is becoming a habit start on another area that your where not satisfied with.
Also get support from family, friends, groups etc. It is much easier to achieve goals when you have support from others. This support can be in the form or helping to be accountable, a family member or friend who also wants to achieve a similar goal, a group that meets weekly, like for meditation, running, business etc.
What area of life are you focusing on and what is your goal?