Last week both my children where sick and my son had a very sore throat. Like anyone who has had a sore throat all he wanted to eat was something that soothed the throat. When I was a child mum would give me ice cream. A child’s fantasy to eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also wanted my son to have something that was nutritious and not just full of sugar. So I was inspired by Quirky Cooking Cookbook and her Raw Chocolate Semifreddo and came up with this.
- 150 g cashews, soaked for 4 hours
- 1 Tbsp goji berries, soaked for 1 hour
- 350g frozen mango pieces
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 – 6 kale leaves
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned, cut into pieces and frozen
- In a food processor combine kale leaves and the drained cashews. Blend until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth
Due to the frozen mango pieces no sugar is required. My son did look at the green ‘ice cream’ with hesitation but once he tried it, it was gone. I told the kids that they could have the leftovers for breakfast the next morning. “We are having ice cream for breakfast tomorrow” was what they excitedly told my partner.
You don’t have to wait for a sore throat to try this! Let me know what you think.