I’ve been creating a number of desserts lately and decided to make one to celebrate Australia Day. I then got to thinking, “What do I love about Australia and what does Australia Day mean to me?” Hmmm
I love the red dirt and openness, the amazing display of stars, the sound of the cicadas when summer hits, the gorgeous beaches, the beauty of Sydney Harbour, the smell of the eucalypts trees, being able to walk freely, discuss issues openly with friends, the opportunities we have, being able to dream and realise those dreams, how we come together to help our mates, the diversity in food, people, culture, scenery and more. I really do feel blessed to be living in this amazing country.
So here is my Green and Gold Mint Bites
1/2 cup pecans
1/3 cups walnuts
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 quinoa flakes
1 Tbs cocoa powder
1/8 tsp celtic sea salt
1/2 – 3/4 cup medjool dates depending on softness of dates
1/2 cup cashews – soaked overnight
1/2 cups baby spinach
1 Tbs honey
1/4 cup coconut oil (liquid)
pinch celtic sea salt
6 -10 drops doTerra peppermint oil
1 1/2 cups of mango
1/2 cup of coconut oil (liquid)
1/2 cup coconut oil (liquid)
2 Tbsp honey
- Add nuts to food processor and process until the mixture resembles coarse flour.
- Add quinoa flakes, celtic sea salt, cocoa powder and process again.
- Add 1 cup of dates and process again. Mixture should hold its shape when pressed into a ball. If it doesn’t add a few more dates.
- Press base into cup cake trays. I use 4cm diameter silicon cup cake trays as it is then easy to press the mint bites out.
- Put in the freezer.
- Add all ingredients except coconut oil and peppermint oil to food processor and process until smooth.
- Add coconut oil and process again.
- Add peppermint oil and process again.
- Spread mixture evenly over base and put trays back into the freezer to set.
- Blend mango and macadamia nuts in food processor until smooth.
- Add coconut liquid and blend again.
- Spread mixture over green layer and put trays back into freezer to set.
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Pour over gold layer.
- Put trays back in freezer to set.
Makes 36 mini bites. If you don’t have cup cake trays then use a 20cm x 30cm slice tray.
Note: When using coconut oil it will solidify when cold so add to the food processor while it is running so it doesn’t form chunks in the mixture.
Have a great Australia Day.
Please leave a comment about what Australia Day means for you?
In good health, Vicki