I’m on a bit of an experiment at the moment to make a number of sweet treats that do not include dates. Why? After I was asked if something else could be substituted for dates I got to thinking – why substitute why not create treats that are designed with the ingredient in mind. So today’s creation is with figs. I love the sweetness and flavour of figs and when the fresh ones are on the market I’ll but them to have in smoothies, on my breakfast or just enjoy them on their own.
- 2 cups of pecans
- 1/2 cup hemps seeds
- 1/4 cup mesquite flour
- 1/8 tsp celtic sea salt
- 1 cup of dried figs
- Soak the figs for a couple of hours in filtered water.
- In a food processor, blend the pecans, hemps seeds, mesquite flour and celtic sea salt until a flour consistency.
- Remove stems from figs and add to the food processor and process until the mixture is a dough consistency
- Press dough into a 20cm x 20xm slice tin
- Place in the freezer to set
- Once set cut into squares and serve with ice cream. These can be stored in the freezer.
* If you do not have hemp seeds try slightly ground pepitas or sunflower seeds
Mesquite flour is made from the the dried, ground pods of the Mesquite. It has a slightly carmel flavour and is and excellent source of magnesium and calcium. The flour can be used as a flour substitute as there is no gluten, in desserts or drinks.
In good health, Vicki