Last weekend I was one of the cooks at my children’s cub camp. I love these weekends as the kids get to experience things they wouldn’t normally experience with us and they develop skills and independence. Knowing that the food offered is different to what I usually eat I wanted to ensure I had a few things I could snack on. I took my Tribest blender (yes we had electricity at the site), greens and fruit to make my green smoothies, chia seeds, goji berries and seeds to make breakfast. Before I left I made a No Nut Slice as nuts are not permitted due to nut allergies. This slice is packed full of goodness and having no nuts means it can be sent to school in lunch boxes.
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup activated buckwheat**
- 1/4 tsp celtic sea salt
- 1/3 cup raw cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup goji berries
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds*
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup puffed millet
- 1 cup sun dried apricots
- Soak the apricots over night in filtered water.
- In a food processor, blend the sunflower seeds, pepitas, shredded coconut, buckwheat and celtic sea salt until a flour consistency.
- Add raw cocoa powder, goji berries, hemp seeds and cinnamon to food processor and mix well.
- Drain apricots and add to the food processor and process until the mixture is a dough consistency
- Whilst food processor is still running add liquid coconut oil and ensure mixed well
- Put dough into a bowl and kneed in puffed millet
- Press dough into a 20cm x 20xm slice tin
- Place in the freezer to set
- Once set cut into slices. These can be stored in the freezer.
* If you do not have hemp seeds add more pepitas or sunflower seeds to step 1
**Buckwheat or buckwheat groats is not a cereal grain but actually a fruit seed and is related to rhubarb. It is a great substitute for those people who are sensitive to wheat and gluten. To activate the buckwheat soaked over night in filtered water, then rinse and dehydrated for 3 hours or until completely dried. If you do not have a dehydrator they can be spread onto an oven tray and dried in the oven on the lowest temperature with the oven door open. Soaking the buckwheat groats reduces the enzyme inhibitors which affects your digestions ability to digest the grain. Buckwheat can be purchased from health food stores and some stores stock activated buckwheat.
In good health, Vicki