I was told about a food market in Richmond a few weeks ago and finally got there. It is only a little market at this stage but the produce is so fresh and the other food items are certainly of top quality. I was so inspired after going to the Richmond Good Food Markets and seeing all the wonderful fresh produce that I created this rainbow salad. It certainly satisfied all the tastes – spicy, salty, sweet, sour and bitter, along with different having different textures.
- 1 cos lettuce
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 1 corn cob
- handful of pine nuts
- fresh basil
- handful of garlic olives (purchased at the markets)*
- 1/4 cup of sun-dried tomatoes (purchased at the markets)**
- 2-4 Tsp of sesame oil
- Finely slice lettuce and place in a large bowl
- Julienne carrot and zucchini and put in the bowl with the lettuce. I use a hand held julienne peeler which makes the job so much easier and quicker.
- Cut the corn off the cob and place in the bowl
- Slice garlic olives and sun-dried tomatoes and add to bowl.
- Finely slice the basil or tear the leaves and add to the bowl.
- Add the pine nuts to the bowl.
- Mix the ingredients then add the sesame oil.
- Serve and enjoy
*I am not an olive lover however these olives are to die for! Between Jannine and I snacking on the olives as I was making the salad we where lucky that any made it into the bowl.
**I have found sun-dried tomatoes to be very strong in flavour and not really that moist however these ones are wonderful. I’ve since made a raw walnut pasta sauce with the tomatoes which is just lovely.
In good health, Vicki