Have you considered that the food you are craving or desiring can tell you something about what is going on for you? That your food has messages for you, when looked at, in context with what is happening in one/or all areas of your life?
For a long time, I didn’t think much about the food I was eating. Initially it was ‘just’ food, to fill a hole, so I could continue with more important things. Then it became ‘good’ and ‘bad’ food, depending on what my weight goal was and how well I was achieving this goal. My definition of ‘good’ and ‘bad’ changed over the years when I stopped looking at weight loss as the goal and started looking at health and vitality as my goal. This has now evolved to “What is my body trying to tell me?” when I look at what it is that I am craving or desiring.
First lets look at craving and desiring. If I asked you to tell me the foods that you crave, most likely you would tell me a list of all the ‘bad’ foods like sugar filled, fat filled, junk food or drink. However if you dug a bit deeper and started observing what you are reaching for, you might find that there are ‘good’ foods that you also crave (or desire). Not only are the messages coming from the ‘bad’ foods, they are also coming from the ‘good’ foods. I did a post on cravings which you can read here.
Let me give you a couple of examples of cravings/desired foods that I have been reaching for in the last few weeks.
Mango, Baby Spinach and Kombucha Green Smoothie. This has been my go to smoothie for the last 3 – 4 weeks. I absolutely LOVE the taste, and as mangoes are in season, it’s no surprise that I have been using fresh mangoes. But having the same smoothie every day? For me, this means there is something about the energy of this smoothie that my body wants. Energy? The vibration of the ingredients combined. A quick snap shot:
- Baby spinach – is green and green relates to the heart chakra. So there could be something about opening and purifying the heart energy. In Chinese Medicine, green relates to the Wood element. Metaphorically the Wood element relates to having ‘roots’ to sustain growth and/or enough fuel to sustain your passion. It is also about whether you have enough structure to achieve the growth.
- Mango is orange, and orange relates to the 2nd chakra – creativity. So there could be something about my ability to be creative. Mango is sweet, which relates to the Earth element in Chinese medicine. The Earth element is about ‘having your feet on the ground’ or being grounded and centred. Again there is an element in having enough roots to nourish growth and stability to give form to my dreams. The two meridians associated with the Earth element are Stomach and Spleen. These two meridians (and the physical organs) are about digestion, so the message could relate to my ability to digest events happening in my life.
- Kombucha is a fermented drink and full of good bacteria. Again something to do with digestion.
When I look at all of the above and also what has been happening in my life the last 4 weeks or so, the message I take away from all this is my need to support my digestion (metaphorically) as I have been studying and learning a lot of new information. This new information has needed to be ‘digested’ so that I can assimilate it and then work with it. I will be using this new information to create (the creativity) new workshops and products for my business. For all this to be successful I need to be ‘grounded’ in the work. This means to really understand the information, not just from a head perspective but from a deep understanding/knowing perspective.
How interesting that I have been supporting my learning through a green smoothie that I have been desiring and consuming the last 4 weeks. It is only in the last few days that I actually have taken notice of the messages this drink has been giving me. I will be journalling some more, to find out if there is more information or messages to be received from this beverage.
The other food that I have been desiring is Rocket (arugula) for the last week. I have been eating this lunch and dinner each day. Very unusual for me to have the same green each meal and especially rocket due to the bitter taste. What is the message of rocket:
- Rocket is bitter and bitter tastes belong to the Fire element of Chinese medicine. Metaphorically bitterness relates to being on the edge, over-stimulated or living on adrenaline, ready to fight or flee at any moment. It also relates to a need to stimulate the creative juices. The Fire element is about the ‘fire in the belly’, “Is there enough?” The Heart meridian, which belongs to the Fire element, relates to your ability to communicate within your Soul. “Are you able to receive these messages and are your able to communicate your message?” It could also relate to conflict between your logical thinking, intuition, wisdom or emotional feelings.
- I spoke to my mentor and coach, Karen Knowler about this and she felt that the rocket was supporting me/fortifying me for a new level in my life. The bitterness is strengthening me in a way I need to, preparing me for opportunities in the future. What these opportunities are I do not know.
So looking at all of the above and what I have been feeling I need to do or bring into my life the last week, the message I am seeing is the need to ‘pause’ more each day and to connect with my Soul. ‘Being’ rather than always doing. I have had this belief that stillness/pause doesn’t achieve ‘stuff’, it is only in the doing that achievement happens. I saw stillness as a reward and not essential. It is nourishment like the food that we consume and the air that we breathe – it is essential. As I mentioned for the Green Smoothie, I have been studying/learning a lot and so there will be new opportunities that open up and new ways that I will be ‘doing’ things, so I can see how the fortifying and strengthening really fits into it.
Incredible that on a level that I am not even consciously aware of, the food I am consuming is supporting me towards me dreams and goals. All I have to do is stop, observe and then be prepared to dig a little deeper. Once I receive the messages, then act of what it is I am being told.
What are you craving or desiring? Would you like to dig a little deeper? If you would, send me an email by completing the attached form. I would love to support you on finding out what messages your food is telling you.
In vibrant health, Vicki